I started May with one hive… now I have two hives and 3 nucs! its been a busy month. My first hive was brimming over with bees but to be quite frank they really were not doing alot, mostly lollygagging around at the top of the hive. I also noticed a substantial increase in drones. I suspected that all this “hanging about” was because they wanted to swarm.
The recommended advice at this point is to “open the brood nest” by splitting, which I did on the 6th May, removing three frames in total ( two with capped queen cells ) and placed them in another prepared hive with another frames worth of shaken bees. This hive settled down well, though I was concerned that I placed the queen cells too near the entance, thus exposing it to colder conditions at night. two days later those cells were gone. I guess I’ll have to wait and see if the queen is there, but generally they seems to have settled down and are bringing pollen into the new hive.