I have just treated my two hives for varroa using Oxalic Acid Vaporization. I did the treatment last year and really didn’t see a mite until early September. Since then there has been an increasing problem made worse by the extended warm weather. Anyway I videoed what I did for anyone whos is interested. I will update this post if and when I do further treatments.
Treating Bee Hives for Varroa using Oxalic Acid Vaporization.
For anyone interested in the details of oxalic acid vaporization have a look at the article I wrote when I was first making the decision to use this method.
I started May with one hive… now I have two hives and 3 nucs! its been a busy month. My first hive was brimming over with bees but to be quite frank they really were not doing alot, mostly lollygagging around at the top of the hive. I also noticed a substantial increase in drones. I suspected that all this “hanging about” was because they wanted to swarm.
The recommended advice at this point is to “open the brood nest” by splitting, which I did on the 6th May, removing three frames in total ( two with capped queen cells ) and placed them in another prepared hive with another frames worth of shaken bees. This hive settled down well, though I was concerned that I placed the queen cells too near the entance, thus exposing it to colder conditions at night. two days later those cells were gone. I guess I’ll have to wait and see if the queen is there, but generally they seems to have settled down and are bringing pollen into the new hive.
This time of year between Christmas and new Year is the ideal time to carry out a “preventative” Varroa treatment using oxalic acid vaporisation because it is normally when there is the least amount of brood and the varroa are at their most vulnerable to this treatment. Continue reading →
I’ve been waiting anxiously to get my bees installed – the weather has been great for a change and I wanted the bees to be out and getting busy! I had delayed installation, because the package was only 24hrs old when I picked it up and I wanted to be sure the queen had been accepted by the worker bees. Continue reading →